March 18, 2009

Not Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping on a recliner chair for 7 weeks was not the greatest sleep in world... in fact it stinks. I was happy when my doctor "upped" my drugs so that the pain would go away enough for me to actually sleep. I only slept in 3 hour increments because the at that point the medication wore off and the pain would jolt me out of a dead sleep. I was exhausted 24 hours a day.

At night, I laid on the recliner to watch "The Office" with my Dad. When it was over, my Dad turned off the TV and as he headed upstairs, I would say "uh, could you please shut my door on your way out"..... it always made him pause and that made me laugh because I was in our living room and there was no "door". You gotta have a sense of humor :).

Before Shailey went back to Tokyo, I asked her to braid my hair. After fixing my hair, she laughed and said, "Mom, I want to take a picture of you". I knew that was not a good sign. When she stopped laughing, she offered to "re-do" them. It may be the first time she has ever done my hair, and probably not the last :).


I lived the life of an OLD LADY: I slept on a recliner with a patchwork quilt, I wore a shawl to keep me warm (since I could not put my arms into a jacket), I watched late night TV when I could not sleep, and my purse held more PILLS than lipstick. I was the little old lady from Indiana.

"Go granny, go granny, go granny go!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Granny! The braids are just the best! Go Shailey!! Love, Mom

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Totally Granny! LOL Love the braids! I love that Shailey thought of taking your picture! She's got the best sense of humor! I'm totally laughing at this post. Awesome!!! (Even though you were in pain.) Great memories.

Natalie said...

Go granny - you are so funny. Don't know how you survived that long without sleeping well! At least you have a cute purse to carry all those pills. :)