March 20, 2009

I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home

After much deliberation, we decided that Glenn would return to Tokyo with Shailey and I would remain in Indiana with Emma and Jonas. Not knowing how I could be injured and take care of Emma and Jonas too, Glenn surprised me with "I just got off the phone with your Dad, he will be flying in tomorrow night!"

I love Glenn. I love my Dad. I love that Glenn knew my Dad would help me without any hesitation. My Dad stayed with us for 7 weeks. He took me to all of my doctor appointments. He combed my hair into a pony tail every day. He cleaned and cooked. He entertained Emma and Jonas. He helped me put on my immobilizer brace and even helped me hook my bra.

Most of my friends said A) their Dad would never come and B) if he did come, he would not be helpful.

Wow, I am a lucky daughter. There is no doubt I have the absolute best Dad in the world. He is truly special. I love spending time with him. We always have stuff to talk about from politics to solutions for restless leg syndrome (aka the tinglies). We both LOVE antiques and during our time together we got a little too hooked on Ebay, hunting for great antique finds (sorry Mom). When I started feeling better we hit a few antique shops together. He is also a project guy, so he fixes anything and everything. This trip he replaced all of my ripped screens (thank you Jonas) as well as re-caulked my bathrooms, fixed my towel racks, repaired my outside light post, patched up my ceiling leak, and snow-plowed my driveway. He is very easy to please and never is put off by another Steak and Shake or McDonalds dinner, which made it easy for me since I couldn't cook. We have the same sense of humor in TV shows... Seinfeld rules. This trip we watched THE OFFICE every night after we put the kids to bed. Over the 7 weeks we got through all 4 seasons...TV junkies, ha!

Dad, I love you. I am so glad when Daddy comes home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracey, this is a wonderful post,and you have a fantastic dad. (And handy too...I getting all those small jobs done is like music to any mom's ears.) Great selection of photos to tell the story (nice braids!)...I hope you have recovered well and are back to go-go-go strength.

Valerie

Anonymous said...

Touched my heart . Love you guys!
RY

sweetcakes said...

You are a very lucky daughter, indeed. I don't know what you would have done without your dad. You really needed his help. I'm so glad he was there for you during such a difficult time.

Da Woman said...

Your dad is so wonderful! It reminded me of my dad in many ways. I love reading your blog Tracey! I laughed when i saw the braid picture and Emma's upset snow face:)
it's a shame that your so called indiana friends weren't more help---speaking of myself completely! will you ever forgive me? love you!

Jennifer Napierski said...

I am more than happy to become the 5th?? or 6?? Ostlund daughter if it means I get access to your Dad! He must really love you. I think the greatest joy we can bring our parents is when we really need them. I'm excited to meet he and your mom soon.

mali said...

I love your Dad too. I don't even know him, but he is a great father to do that. It says a lot about you too. I mean that he would want to be around you that much. :0)

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Awww... we DO have the best Dad ever! No doubt in my mind that Dad would drop anything to help us out. I love that he fixed your hair. Melt my butter. I picture us being kids and him fixing our hair, when Mom was in the hospital after Michelle was born. Too cute. We are so lucky to have him! Love you, too, Dad!

And LOVE my birthday present! Dad couldn't wait to give it to me, so I opened mine a month before Malia was allowed to open hers. LOL She'll be opening it tomorrow! Love the books! They are already up on Kirra's shelf. Thank you!!