March 6, 2009

My American Idol

If you asked me who is my idol, I would easily reply, "Glenn's Aunt Karen". Over the years I have spent a lot of time with this woman, who I adore. She is everything I would wish to be; kind, easy to talk to, creative, a fabulous mother and grandmother, a project girl, family historian, musician, photographer, seamstress, loves blue grass music, and collects children's books and dolls. Aunt Karen and Uncle Clayn moved to Utah from California a year ago so we got to visit them while we were in Utah. When I looked over the photos I took at her house, I discovered loads of elves, fairies, and dolls tucked away into nooks and corners all over her house. Being at Aunt Karen's feels like a little girl's dreamland.Her latest creative project, were doll chess sets... they reminded me of Fraggles. She made one for each of her 6 kid's families for Christmas. She said this project was more work than she anticipated, but it was a labor of love.
She loves blue grass music and plays the bass fiddle by ear.... WOW.
Glenn played some of his new guitar songs during our visit. He too is very creative and musical. I think these talented genes come from Aunt Karen. It is my hope and wish for that blood to run thick in my children too. When I grow up, I want to be just like Aunt Karen. She truly is my American Idol!

4 comments:

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

What a fun trip! We missed you terribly, but good to see some fun pics of what you did! I've only met her a few times, and I too love her! She's such a happy lady!

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Oh, also loved the Fraggles. Totally Fraggles. Very fun!

Ginger Rogers said...

What a DREAM place to be! I ADORE HER!!!!!! I want to be at her house! Does she take non related visitors? :) THE CHESS SET WAS AWESOME!!!!!! I could see you doing that! Blue Grass???? MY KIND OF GIRL! I LOVE BLUE GRASS! :) Her fairy's and such remind me of you. Remember your fairy by the dishes? Love that!

Glenn said...

I love how much you appreciate Aunt Karen. It was great spending time with them, and it gave us some good ideas for the next house.