September 1, 2008

American Idol or Bust

It is absolutely true, the Ostlunds are huge AMERICAN IDOL FANS! Even Jonas can tell you the top 10 American Idols by name... "I'n going to vote for dabid archuletta."

So when we found out 2008 Idols were coming to concert in Indianapolis, we were sold. My parents are also BIG FANS, and since they were going to be in town, they wanted in on the scene too (Glenn wanted to be there, but he had to be in Singapore at the time boo hoo).

And, because I am all about being FESTIVE, I knew we needed matching FAN T-SHIRTS. I found the American Idol symbol online and then printed it onto iron-on patches. Shailey added an additional line on hers that read "especially david a." (you best believe she is in love, L U V).

On a funny note, my first t-shirt design had "American Idol or BUST" written across the chest... ummm maybe that wasn't the best idea. Anyways, our shirts were a big hit and tons of people stopped to ask us where we bought them (if I were an entrepreneur I would have jumped on that, but alas I am not... as a kid I hated selling girl scout cookies... my idea of pure torture).




The concert was amazing. This year's top ten idols are so musical... in concert, they played, piano, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and even the ukulele. We had pretty good seats, when we were actually sitting in them and not dancing, singing, and shouting with the idols.
This was Shailey and Emma's very first concert. I was pretty stoked that I got to share their first concert experience and know that it was one we were equally excited about. The audience was largely comprised of mothers and their kids. It was a perfect "first concert". The girls were sooooooo jazzed to be there, and kept saying "thank you mom for taking us!!!" This was definitely a big highlight of the summer.

David Cook was an amazing performer who knew how to work an audience. He was very candid and even stopped during his performance to tie his pants string. He laughed and while he tied he said to the audience, "talk amongst yourselves" (Saturday Night Live Mike Meyers reference).

But I have to say... we were the most excited to see David Archuletta..... I thought Shailey was going to burst while waiting for him to appear on stage. And she was not the only one thrilled to see him either....Grammie also had grins from ear to ear!

What can we say, the boy has talent... and he is only 17 for pete's sake... what is he going to do with more experience? Two words, wow and wow.In case you did not know, David Archuletta is Mormon (belongs to our church) so Shailey screamed during his performance, "I LOVE YOU DAVID ARCHULETTA!!!!!! MARRY ME!!!" She is 11 and he is 17 so, technically speaking, its a pretty good match.

After the concert was over, like true fans, we waited around for autographs and were not disappointed. Shailey got all but one of the idol's autograph. It was crowded, so I handed Emma my camera and put her up on my shoulders to take pictures. Emma had a system of snapping her fingers and calling the idols' name... "Jason Castro, look up here!!" It worked like a charm.



You can see just how crowded it was, tolerable, but crowded.


Michael Johns is a total hottie, and very sweet too. How can you not love that Australian accent? Michael, you can sing me a Queen song anytime.

Ramiele Malubay was more difficult to photograph because she is such a shorty.


Syesha Mercado was the most appreciative of the fans... she gave us so much attention. She really is this beautiful too.



Chikezie Eze was fun to watch perform... he is such a happy guy and was probably the idol who danced the most on stage.


Carly Smithson got kind of ticky with the fans... she was annoyed with the pushing and shoving.One woman got ticked at me too... accused me of stepping on her daughter while I tottered around with Emma on my shoulders. I looked down and saw that I was clearly not on her daughter. She was just panicking in the crowded setting. I told her "hey, this is what it is... we are all crowding around to see our idols. This is what fans do." She did not appreciate my observation and asked me if I was drunk (yeah, mother with 8 year old daughter on her shoulders... clearly I was drunk... oh brother). I finally got sick of her fussing and said firmly "it seems like this is too much for you and maybe you should choose another activity for your daughter." She left in a huff.

David Cook was completely mobbed. One kid took off his grimy Converse sneaker and handed it to David to sign.... David looked at the ratty shoe and said "you are kidding me right?" The kid was not kidding and with good humor, David signed his shoe.




This smile was for me.... Emma caught David's attention to look at the camera, but my camera battery started to die so David looked at me like "how long am I supposed to hold this smile"... I laughed, and just when he looked away, the camera finally clicked. He thought it was funny too.


David Archuleta is just as darling in person as he is on TV. With fans squeezing in everywhere, Shailey was having a difficult time getting her book to David to sign. David's dad saw her struggling and so he took her book and personally handed it to David.... Shailey was on cloud 9!(this is David's dad next to him)

And last, but not least, we managed to get both girls in a picture with Brooke White, our other favorite idol, who is also Mormon... the girls were elated.

After waiting for hours mashed in mobs of sweaty people suffering the hot and humid Indiana night, after crying tears of fatigue and frustration when I thought my shoulders were going to give out, and finally after all our trials, reaching our goal and meeting our idols, we realized without a doubt, we were truly modern day pioneers. After all, it was AMERICAN IDOL OR BUST!

11 comments:

Glenn said...

You forgot the other huge star you met in the grocery store in Mira Loma -- the young Mr. Eko. But the American Idol stars are pretty cool, too.

Smoochie Lady April of Cook said...

Tracey,
You sure do know how to capture a moment and really be in it. Lucky for you that your shoulders are strong enough to hold your daughter - I would have had to pick up Hollis and the pictures would have been fuzzzzzzzzzzy! Anyway, I can't believe all that you managed to experience this summer!! Amazing...

Jen-E said...

Amazing! We loved the concert. This years idols were the best yet. Whose autograph didn't Shailey get?

Mark, Robin, Mitchell, and Jarod Ormsby said...

Loved the photos. Looked like you all had a great time!!! The Idol or Bust would have been great, even if it was a prototype.

Sandrine said...

Great pictures! It is so cool that you have a picture of your girls with brooke.
I'm glad that you had a good summer. To be reminded how much you like Bloomington. We don't want you guys to like Japan too much. We need you to come back to stay.

Anonymous said...

good morning
you are just toooooooooo funny T-shirts looks great, what a fun way to end your time in Indiana
hope you had a safe return to Tokyo

love ya aunt Maureen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update - Am. Idol was here a month back or so also at Sam Boyd Stadium. We just watch the beginning of Am. Idol when they are all trying out - that is the best with all the people who think that have something going on - Darrell would have been good on that?
-Troy

Anonymous said...

Tracey,

You are AWESOME, what a GREAT summer to have with your family. I don't know how you did it all! WOW. We love American Idol too, I'm so jealous. Emma took GREAT pictures, what fun to share the experience with your parents. We LOVE David and Brooke too. She seems truly down to earth. Have you downloaded David's new single "Crush", it's pretty good. Are you back in Japan getting back to school and all?? I hope you can try settling down just a bit, sure, you are Wonder Woman.

Love to you all,

Vicki Sheehan

Alison said...

TRACEY! WOW! How great was that! That will be an experience your family won't forget! Great pics! Emma has the touch both in front of and behind the camera! =) FUN!

dallin+michelle said...

oh how i need to be your neighbor... then i can tap into all of your adventures! you are the festive girl... i love that about you. i'm good about going along with the festive girl's plans. we can't have too many planners, so we make a good team ;) "you give and little and i'll give a little, hey let's get together!" hahaha

Ginger Rogers said...

Love love love the t shirts! They are pretty and oh so festive! You are the party girl! It's 2:00am and I really need to get to bed but I've been checking out your blog (of course I'm a regular fan) but I have not commented on your new stuff! (I even send my friends to your blog cause I think your blog is even interresting enough for people who don't know you. It's like a good book you want to share! ) Anyway, love the ti shirts! And what an amazing experience! I wish I could have been there! Though I don't watch American Idol, I think it still would have been WAY fun! My favorite pictures are of Mrs. Shailey shoutin' out to the man of her dreams! THE BEST!!!!!!! Miss you! Love, Trisha