September 30, 2008

The Truth About Ex-Pat Life

"Ex-pat" signifies "ex-patriot" and means that you temporarily live out of your native country. In general when you tell someone you are an ex-pat, they envision a glamorous life full of traveling around the world and getting paid well.... there is definitely another side of this coin.

There is also the packing, unpacking, packing again, unpacking, shopping for items you can't get in your foreign land and then shipping them, unpacking your shipment, and shipping again.... a lot of packing, shopping, and shipping....not so glamorous.


The look here on my face is candid.... Shailey snapped it with my camera.... it reads, "where do I start?"


So you're telling me that this stuff is supposed to fit in those suitcases? Hmmmm.


This summer I spent a good amount of time stocking up on the items we wanted to take back to Japan and then piling it up in my bedroom (where I could lock the doors and keep the kids out of it). My mom said to me, "This may be a silly question, but can't you buy this stuff in Japan... I mean, don't the Japanese use shampoo and soap". I see her point. Of course the Japanese use shampoo and soap. The problem is that when I am at a store in Japan, I cannot READ if the bottle reads "soap" or if it reads "wart remover". So unless I want to take Glenn to the store every time, it is easier (and CHEAPER) to buy whatever I can in the states and take it back with me to Japan. Capiche?

For example: Hairspray. Looks like hairspray, feels like hairspray, smells like hairspray, and is made by Pantene... so of course it is hairspray, right? It took a few minutes to realize why Shailey's hair looked like it had been smothered in margarine.... and never mind that I used the spray to make her hair look nice for a modeling audition.... no exaggeration. This spray turned out to be hair conditioner. So you see, for as much as it is a hassle to pack, unpack, and pack again, for the most part it is worth it (right Jen?). Whatever did NOT FIT in the suitcases, got shipped in boxes. Now you will understand why I can't bring myself to unpack the shipped boxes when they arrive. I spend the next week just staring at them until I get enough energy to unpack once again.This summer, I packed and unpacked 32 times.... ahhhhh the beauty of ex-pat life.

9 comments:

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Well looking at the final result, you sure did a great job! I didn't think it would all fit. It looks so nice, clean and organized in the end. You should have taken a picture of the mess after you unpacked the boxes. :) I'm sorry, but the first thing I saw in the first picture was your FABULOUS chin! OK skinny! Normal stomachs don't look that flat sitting down like that. At least mine doesn't! Jealous!

Ginger Rogers said...

I remember wanting to take your picture at Moms when your stuff was ALL over the down stairs. You said "Trish, no." I think cause it wasn't funny, but stressful and it was 1:30 in the morning and you were flying out that morning. So I'm so happy Shailey took your photo! It needed to be shared. No one would believe it unless they saw it. I saw it a few times! :) You are a GREAT packer! Hey, Green Bay might be looking for a new team player! It's unreal the things you have to figure out while packing. Love the hair spray story! At least with other languages you could guess. You know sometimes their words are similar to ours. Japanese? There's no guessing there. Hey.....did my cute chubby ribbon jars take a trip to japan? I think I saw them in your pile to go! :) I'm so curious, what do you use them for?

Ginger Rogers said...

P.S.....
You look HOT!!!! Seriously, tan, in shape, sharp chin, great hair! HOTTIE MOMMA!!!!

Natalie said...

Holy Cow. Just reading this made me tired! But, I think you made the right choice to pack your stuff and ship it.

Silly Monkeys said...

Well Tracey, I thought I was bad when I traveled. You win hands down. I hate packing and unpacking or rearranging things several times to make things fit. It wasn't so bad for two people and one dog...but now with two kids and animals...I hate it. I have done the shipping stuff between California and Utah, but not that much stuff and to another country. Good job! Next time I feel stress packing...I will remember these photos to remind myself...I am glad that was not me and my packing is a piece of cake.

dallin+michelle said...

so this makes me re-think dallin joining the military and moving 14 times... and i tripple the motion, you look slim and trim! missie did a GREAT job on your highlights... mine are still from my wedding. uh yah, time for a re-do!

Anonymous said...

WOW - you are SSSOOOO funny. It does sound glamarous, but I guess there are a few draw backs to living out of the states. It just turned a little cooler here, its beautiful as usual. We are all fine. Love to all, Marji

Alison said...

YIKES! That looks like such a huge job. I'm still laughing about the hair conditioner. I think I would also end up doing as you are if we lived there.
What a great summer you had. Looking forward to reading more adventures from Japan!

Elder Romney's mission said...

At least living in MExico we dont have to ship it but we do load up our car every trip we take to the states, Shopping down here is the pits! And the money we have to pay to get things in this country is ridiculous! Yea so maybe we all should move back to the states1