September 30, 2008

Locks for Love

Shailey grew her hair for an entire year with plans to donate it to LOCKS for LOVE. This is an organization that collect hair donations to make into wigs for alopecia patients and cancer patients. I was so proud she came up with this idea all on her own. When Shailey learned her Aunt Trisha had alopecia , she was very sensitive and it touched her. Even though Aunt Trisha is fine now, Shailey felt like this was a way she could support the cause for her Aunt .

When the time came for her to cut it, I told her it was okay to change her mind (secretly I worried my sensitive "pre-teen" may not like it afterwards and have regrets). However, Shailey was not thwarted and went full speed ahead with her original plan.

BEFORE
AFTER
I went to the store and left Shailey home with Aunt Missie and came home to this..... she cut off 12 inches!!!!

Aunt Missie did a GREAT JOB!!!! She has such an incredible talent for hair! We are lucky to have her in our family. Shailey absolutely loved her haircut and had NO regrets. I think Aunt Missie had more regrets... she got teary and said to me "I'm sorry I made our Shailey look so old!" She is so sweet, I love Missie to pieces. She did my hair too, highlights and all. She is by FAR my favorite stylist. If only she lived closer....

10 comments:

Dallin said...

Shailey, you look very pretty with your new hair cut. I like it.

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

LOVE IT! And YES, Missie is the best! I wish she lived here. I'm looking for some layers. Missie, are you coming to CA anytime soon? :) Shailey, you look beautiful! Just ready to start Young Women's!

Ginger Rogers said...

Wait.....VERY IMPORTANT>....
"Locks for love" was NOT invented for cancer patients. It was first began by a woman who had ALOPECIA . She was sick of all the dumpy wig choices so she began her own business to make wigs more comfortable for bald heads, and to look more REAL looking. For obvious reasons I am wanting to make sure people know, when you donate your hair you are also donating to those who have Alopecia. A hair loss disease from over active ammune systems. And what a blessing it is for them to have people with beautiful hair, like Shailey, share so that they too can still feel beautiful, soft, and human like. Bald can feel so cold and hard. YOU GO SHAILEY!!!!! Though I loved your hair long(sleeping beauty-girl you got good hair genes from you momma and your aunt missy! ) I am so thankful to know if and when I ever go bald again, I CHOOSE YOUR HAIR to be my wig!!!!! I love you! Know that your hair will make some young girl, or woman very very happy and alive again! :)

Natalie said...

Her new hair cut is so gorgeous! Very stylish.

Silly Monkeys said...

Wow! She looks all grown up. I love her cute hair style. Way to go Shailey. That is so wonderful for you to donate your lovely locks.

dallin+michelle said...

LOVE the new haircut... and the last picture of Missie... STUNNING. if that doesn't tempt one to grow long hair, NOTHING can. i want that look!! gorgeous!!!

Mark, Robin, Mitchell, and Jarod Ormsby said...

REASON #235 I am glad I had two boys. She looks adorable and like she said, OLDER! But it was for a very good reason.

Mark

Anonymous said...

What great memories!

I see that Shailey is as pretty as her mother.
As the father of 5 daughters myself, I can see you are in for some challenging years.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Love, Uncle John

Melissa said...

How did I miss this? I've been waiting for this post for 2 months!
It was SO FUN to cut Shailey's hair. I'm still so proud of her determination to donate even if she was worried about how she might look. She is so sweet. As I told her, there are a lot of well meaning people (like me) who would love to donate, but just don't have the courage to do it.
Shailey you are an inspiration to us all! (side note- You can't donate chemically treated/colored hair. So that's my excuse).
And on a vain side note, Thank you for putting the cute picture of me with Tate to balance out the double chin shot while I was cutting.... Not such a glamours moment.
Love you guys- I'll do your hair ANYTIME, you know that! (All ex-Louis' included!)

Alison said...

What a darling haircut And such a great cause. Very inspiring!