December 10, 2009

Eau de Toilette

Our "potty" experience in Japan has been interesting to say the least.  Sometimes we have found ourselves staring for a long time at a toilet trying to figure out:

1) how to use it
and
2) how to flush it

For example, take this toilet below, we call it a SQUATTY POTTY and none of us enjoy using them.... too messy!  But this style of toilet is the traditional Japanese toilet style.  Many places outside of Tokyo only use this potty.  If you want a potty like we are used to in the states, it is called a "western" potty and you have to search for a sign on the door that actually reads, "western style".... giddy-up.


However, whenever there is a "western style potty" you frequently find it paired with the following sign:


This is to be sure you recogize it is not to be used as you would use a "squatty potty".

Now the other dilema we experience is flushing.  You see this handle, you know what to do.



The problem is, sometimes there is no handle, instead there is a side arm full of buttons.  Luckily the side arm pictured here has its functions written in English. 


What about this little ditty?  When I saw it with the picture of a hand, I figured it was to show me it was a sensor to flush the toilet.  I waved my hand in front of it, heard a flushing noise, but NOTHING HAPPENED.  I repeated this maneuver over and over, but the same thing would happen... a flush sound, but no flush.  I soon realized it was a sensor for a PRIVACY SOUND... its only purpose is to make a noise so that no one in the restroom hears your personal business.  Wow.  Where did I find this ditty?  In Mc Donald's!  Yes, this feature is so common, it is found in a public Mc Donald's restroom.  Privacy noise makers are common, not fancy.




Here's a toilet, without a back flusher, and without a side arm, or a senor. 
How would you flush it?


It is located at one of our favorite restaurants, Monsoon.  For the past year and a half I never flushed the toilet, because I could not figure out how to flush it.... until recently...

Finally they posted a sign to explain!



A ha!



Or how about this potty that has water that comes out of the top for washing your hands afterwards?  It seems a little gross, but when there is no other sink, what else can you do?

                            
                 


Then I came across another toilet without a back flusher on our Mt. Fuji hike.  There was no floor button either.  I just about gave up trying to flush it when I heard Shailey in the next stall over say to me, "Mom, do you know how to flush this toilet?" 

"No!"

She giggled. "Look for a water gun hose thingy on the wall. It is for squirting your waste down into the toilet hole.  I have seen this one before."  Wow.  This potty wins for CRAZY FLUSHER... but it was kind of fun.  I think Jonas would love this kind of potty.



Enough with the Potty Talk!

10 comments:

Glenn said...

good one, but I have a few more pictures you could use -- the potty's where you wash your hands in the little spout that comes out of the top of the water tank. and of course the one I saw last year at the DMV when I got my drivers license, where you actually stick your hands INSIDE THE BOWL to wash them as they flush your business away. gross!

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Okay, as much as I am dying to get to Japan, I have to say.... I think I'm a little partial to the "western potty." You know they think we're silly and crazy! LOL Hilarious post!! Sure makes me appreciate the sit kind. ha ha But, if you think about it, the "squatty potty" is much more sanitary!! No butt sharing germs. LOL

Anonymous said...

Tracey! Great stories! Loved them all and made me laugh!!! What great experiences for your entire family. i REALLY LOVED THE ONE OF YOU AND sHAILEY WHERE SHE ASKED IF YOU KNEW HOW TO FLUSH THE TOILET! tHANKS FOR SHARING.
dAD (i INADVERTENTLY HIT THE CAPS KEY.) yUCK!!!

Unknown said...

holy crap! (pun intended)

Can you imagine if that one with the buttons didn't have english? talk about a nasty situation if you accidently hit "bidet" instead of flush... yikes!

Team Smith Adventures said...

I love your blog, especially this one! (I'm a friend of Vicki Sheehan)

-Christy Smith

Kim said...

I love hearing about your adventures in Japan - this one takes the cake!

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous. I will have to share with Chris, as he loved his trip to Japan this fall, and hopes to go back on sabbatical next year. It reminds me of how fascinated our girls were with the occasional bidet we saw househunting in Bloomington; they will love to learn of this greater variety in toilet types. (Still, there is no hole in the ground like I encountered in Paris, and no peeing in the woods like both girls encountered at Bradford Woods!) MKP

Katy said...

Lovin' this post. What's your opinion on the whole bidet idea, though? And the privacy noise makers=pure genius!

Da Woman said...

okay so I've seen the squatty potty before in Israel and it had the floor button, but the spray gun takes it all. You win first prize for finding the oddest toilet flushing system.

Annette said...

I love reading about your amazing and silly adventures! Your children are getting a priceless cultural education. =)