February 10, 2009

The Santa Lottery

I went Christmas shopping with my friends and came across these Japanese Santa's. I didn't know what they were doing, but I thought they were cute and festive, so I took their picture.

Now, here is what I LOVE LOVE LOVE about the Japanese people..... it may even be my favorite thing about them: they are so awesome about picture taking! I am serious. They will let you take a picture of anything, anytime, anywhere. And, if you ask them to take your picture, they never look at you like you are wierd or crazy.
Sooooooo when these guys saw that I took their pictures, they told me to "hold on a second" (choto mate kudusai) and they pulled out their Santa hats for me to take a second picture. Now here is a culture who knows how to MELT MY BUTTER.... happy picture takers! It made my day!!
My friend Hiromi came over to see what I was doing, and explained that this was a Christmas lottery; for every purchase you made, you got a chance to spin the wheel and win a prize. I spun and won 2 $10.00 (2,000 yen) certificates for their mall! It really was a good day :).

5 comments:

Natalie said...

That is cool that they will let you take a picture anytime, anywhere. Loved the story about Jonas and the snakes. You are an awesome mom.

Alison said...

It's so true! I remember going places like Disneyland as a kid and would ALWAYS get stopped to have a photo taken with a japanese family! They totally get it! =) Love reading about all your adventures. xo

Ginger Rogers said...

First off.....you KNOW I've always thought Japanese boys are total cuties! :) You captured it! These boys are total cuties! Love that they were not only willing to take a photo....IN SANTA suits.....but make sure to fix the details to make it look good! Maybe Greyson could go to Japan and learn that getting your picture taking is FUN! ha haa!

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

FUN! Love the lottery idea. Bring it to CA... yeah right! ha ha And, absolutely are they the best picture takers ever! No wonder you feel so at home there!

Anonymous said...

Christmas in Japan must be very fun. Loved the three guys posing for the camera!!