February 7, 2009

Kimono Dress Up

As part of an annual fundraiser at our kid's school, they have professionals come to take family "Kimono" photos. This is our second year doing it and I thought it would be fun to capture the process.

They start with the girls... makeup and hair.



Nice purple eye shadow Tracey....



This is what the boys are doing while they wait their turn... Glenn is playing on his I-PHONE and Jonas is sucking his thumb... oops, I gave him Benadryl before coming... BIG MISTAKE.



Then the helper ladies get us dressed... it is a LOT of WRAPPING and TYING and SQUEEZING.
The boys join in the action too now... they get to be SAMURAI.


I love how Glenn TOWERS over the ladies who are dressing him...he is truly a GIANT in Japan.
Someone perked up when they handed him the sword... check out his face... he cannot hide his excitement!The Boys are done.Girls are done too. Shailey LOVED her hair and makeup.... she has had a "thing" for eyeliner ever since.

The bow is called an "obi" and it is the most decorative and special part of the Kimono... it holds the essense of true beauty.
Final products!




SAYONARA!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this photo. I've added it to my family wall picture. Remember to send me a photo of your family in a HORRIZONTAL pose.
Love,
Dad

Melissa said...

is that my Dad? It sounds like him. Anyway- I guess I'm commenting on all of these, you don't mind, right?
It just made me laugh that in your "purple eye shadow" pic Tracey, you look like you could be 12! And Shailey looks like she's 17! I love these pics. I'd love an updated copy if you have one as well.

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

I LOVE this tradition! I would love to do this! Awesome pics! I love seeing you get ready. Very fun memories!