August 9, 2008

I've Got Your Thumb

4th Stop in our summer travels was SUTTER'S FORT, California. Here we reunited with our Van Buskirk cousins. Sutter's Fort was more or less a glorified trading post founded by John Sutter. There were many great pioneer demonstrations giving the kids a chance to participate.


First demonstration was how a BEAVER TRAP works... Emma volunteered with enthusiasm and only got a little freaked out when she thought her thumb was going to be cut off....


Laughing with relief when it was over and she still had all 9 fingers... oops, I mean 10.
Here's our crowd watching... it is amazing how you can get kid's attention when danger is involved (That is the longest I have ever seen Jonas sit).


Shailey also volunteered to loose a limb. This was an amputation demonstration. It was really gruesome to hear how the flesh was cut, and the skin peeled back, to expose the bone before cutting it. One again, the kids were enthralled (see little Aleigh watching in front).Shailey squirms a little under the approaching knife.

This is my favorite view... a close up of Emma with a hint of a smile as she concentrates on the gory details (she loves the horror).
Loud firearms demonstration.


Jonas picked out a souvenir.... uh, its a Zorro hat of course.... if it only came with a sword.


Jonas was excited to tell me he heard a "real bad guy's voice" in the jail!
All in all, we gave this pioneer fort a "thumb's up!"

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like fun. You guys really have been busy! I love that your girls were all about being the brave volunteers! I miss you guys!

sweetcakes said...

You guys sure have had a busy summer! I wonder if we'll get to see you before you have to head back?

Glenn said...

Emma must have loved that.

Ginger Rogers said...

"IN 1814 we took a little trip....along with kernal sanders and the mighty missisip...."
What an AWESOME vacation! Seriously.....we had some fun! Remember me and you were just rollin' with the punches! Remember "we deserve patches for being easy going" hee hee! Remember pulling up to the hotel thinkin' Mom was running in to get some information only to find out .."Oh, we're parking now...ok....." I put the car in gear and pulled right into a spot! That was a fun gaga moment! :) I'm so glad you got to drive with me! :)