August 13, 2008

I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Stop 6 in our summer travels was SAN FRANCISCO. We Louis girls have many fond memories traveling here to visit our Grandad. We were excited to share this city with our own kids.
This is what it looks like crossing the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE. We were a little silly because this was not the direction we were headed, but we wanted to cross it nonetheless. So we crossed it once and then crossed it again coming back. We were disapointed to learn that an old Redwood tree log we use to climb on as kids, is no longer at the end of the bridge. It has been replaced by a war memorial.

THAT WAS THEN...

(1984: kim, dad, lisa, tracey, michelle, grandad, kristine, shelly, kasie, and trisha) THIS IS NOW with our kids...

(2008: julia, aleigh, jonas, malia, emma, greyson, kirra, and shailey- liam was sleeping)

Welcome to Pier 39.


We picnicked at the docks near the sea lions.

Jonas tried to join the sea lions, and he panicked local tourists who watched him climb. I was just happy to see him getting out his "energy bugs".
I love my wild child.


Emma and Kirra... and ALCATRAZ in the background.Trisha's husband Jeff flew to Vancouver and then drove home with us.
I couldn't help but tease Jonas a little when I saw fear in his eyes after lifting him up to sit on the top rail... it was funny.
Driving down Lombard Street, the crookedest street in the world.View from the top... you can see COIT Tower in the distance.
Our Grandad died a few years ago. This was our first time visiting San Francisco without seeing him and that made us grieve a little. However, I was grateful for my memories with him and for the relationship we shared.

This photo taken was the last time I saw him (2002).
This picture of he and Shailey is one of my all time favorites.
I miss you Grandad. I miss sitting in Garibaldi's bar and drinking your yummy Shirley Temples.


I miss your warm brown eyes and mischievous twinkle. I miss your light chuckle. I miss your stories about "back in them days, you know". I miss listening to how good you thought life was, even when you had every reason to believe you had been dealt a difficult one. Grandad you are special to me. I love you and I miss you.

7 comments:

Lucy said...

I've been there! Such a fun weekend. And the young picture of Shailey is how I remember her as a little sunbeam!! Such a cutie! Thanks for sharing your tender memories, so sweet.

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Okay, now that I'm crying! Thanks. Love the memories. I'm glad we did it. Even though other people thought we were nuts to do that in a few hours. Well worth it! It makes me laugh about when we took this trip before when I was 7.5 mo. pregnant with Kirra. Goose or Coffee? Ha Ha! Love you!

Glenn said...

What great fun memories for you and the kids despite the crazy schedule, and all that time in a car, and in and out of suitcases (and in crusty hotel rooms). And without a husband or daddy around to poopoo your fun ideas. What a great summer you have had. Independant Woman part 3 -- "all the ladies who truly feel me, put your hands up at me"

(lyrics from a Destiny's Child song, not my announcement to a return to our old tyme religion)

Anonymous said...

Great pics on your blog. The one of you teasing Jonas on the railing is priceless. Everyone has a candid expression on their face. I loved it. Well we made it back yesterday. We all fell asleep at 8 pm and woke up at 5:30 am. I had everything unpacked and the fridge/pantry cleaned out and was exhausted. Looked at my watch and it was only 10:30 am. See that's why I'm not an early person. I don't need that much time in my day. I think I would be too productive. We don't want that happening now do we?? Its really hot. You open the front door and it's a wave of heat like opening an oven that's on to check on dinner. We took the kids to the TAC pool today and just sat in the water to cool off. But I feel better because I thought my last time to swim was in Utah and that my summer was over. I'm trying to stretch it out a little even here in Japan. The kids saw some friends at the pool and talked about who their teachers are this year. I'm so ready for them to start this Monday. Ava won't start for a couple more weeks but still just to have a semi-clean house longer than 30 min. I gave up cleaning this summer because I would turn around and something else would be destroyed. It'll be fun having you guys back. Hurry.
Jen

Ginger Rogers said...

I am a bawling mess. That trip was a hard one. I just wanted to think he was still there and that we were heading to go see him. Such a part of our lives...both San Francisco and Granddad. They are one! I can't think of one without the other ya know? Thank you for your sweet words to him. I know he hears us and he knows we love him. Great Photo selection showing the beauty of the place we call home. And the youthful photos.....those brought back some memories! San Francisco is our home away from home. It's peaceful there. It has always had a special feeling about it. I am thrilled we stopped over. To me it was SOOOOOOO worth the crazy way we did things just to bop through it in all of 6 hours. I missed it too much not to just stop even for just a little bit, and I'm so glad we did. :)

Ginger Rogers said...

still crying.....oh I miss Granddad! You nailed it....brown eyes and all! Love you!

dallin+michelle said...

so my sisters get teary, and i just laugh-- i'm really the ice queen. comparing the stories i heard on the phone to the blog i now see... sounded like two different trips! missed out on this one again... darn. though dallin did apply to med school out there in SF, we shall see......