August 9, 2008

From the Redwood Forest

While in Yosemite, we hiked through the Redwood Forest, home of the Sequoias, the world's tallest trees.
There is one word to describe them: Majestic. Walking in the forest you feel like you are among the royal family of trees. I learned a few interesting facts from my Uncle Bookie. I was curious how they have survived so long, knowing how wood is prized.... I mean why have they not been cut down by loggers? He told me originally people tried to cut them down but found their wood was too soft and not good for building. I also wondered how they have escaped forest fires (at the time there were 1,000 fires burning in the area... it was a bad summer for Yosemite). Turns out that Redwood trees have a natural fire retardant chemical in their bark that keeps them from burning.We hiked about 5 miles which was too much for Aleigh and Jonas who settled for piggybacks when they got tired.Check out the roots!Do you see tiny Brent in the green t-shirt?We were told not to pick up pine cones so the trees can re-seed... one person in our group , who will remain anonymous, did not heed the rules...oops.
Grammie and Grandad explored with the grandkids.
Lisa and Brent, the newlyweds, were part of our crew. I love this picture.

Bridal Veil Falls in Yosemite.

Greyson and Jonas being "boys".


"From the Redwood Forest to the gulf stream water, this land was made for you and me".

8 comments:

Silly Monkeys said...

Wow! We are in California too! We just had our first Lindsay camping trip with all the grandkids together. We are in Northern California. Looks like lots of fun.

Ginger Rogers said...

Best trip ever!!!! Love that you are doing this in segments. Kinda like a chapter book I can't wait to get to the next chapter and check out all the new adventures!
Like "Magic Tree House" books! :)
perfect thought for this REDWOOD Forest theme! :) HAA HAA (Also way to go on being such a GREAT photographer. I noticed Brody got a picture of you and your camera again! Too cute! Hey, speaking of.....I have some photos of you, you will want. How do I get them to you? You know me, Mrs. Computer? So, you're saying get Kristine over here? Got it! :) Love, Trisha

Lucy said...

We lived in Monterey for not too long, but visited the redwoods once. So beautiful, truly majestic!

Alison said...

I've always wanted to visit the Redwood Forest! Looks like you are having a wonderful summer. =) Going by way too fast I'm sure.

sweetcakes said...

I love this place! Your pictures bring back lots of great memories!

Ginger Rogers said...

Hey I'm noticing the word verifications are getting a bit tricky to read. What's up with that? I swear I had one that was 13 letters long. What happened to vjpt...and enter?

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

This is part of the trip that I'm jealous about!! I wish I was there. We were so bummed when we couldn't make it to Bookie and Gladys'. That would have just added to the wonderful memories. Gorgeous pictures!

M. D. Vaden of Oregon said...

Not sure if I posted in your blog before.

If you really like redwood trees, you might find some amusement from this page:

Largest known coastal redwoods

At least for now, there is a small window in the page, with a link to a list of tallest known redwoods, both current, and an HTML page with more names from an older list.

I'm usually in the redwoods at the coast. But a young man from the UK, frequently emails me, who is very enthusiastic about the giant sequoias. Apparently, his family has traveled there from the UK area, several times.