January 8, 2009

Fish Out of Water

Winter, 2008, Glenn took me out for my first real SUSHI.
We went out with Miyashima Kazunori (aka Kaboh), Glenn's old friend from when he served a mission in Japan in 1991.
This is a traditional Japanese Sushi platter, with salmon roe (eggs) and such.
This is the SUSHI I had... a little less intimidating.

The SUSHI was very FRESH.... I watched the guy scoop the fish from the tank and kill it right there.




Here goes nothing....

The verdict.... YUMMY! I love SUSHI now!
As a young girl, I was a horribly picky eater. I didn't even want my food to touch each other so I would wash my plate between each course. My Mom used to say, "I hope you don't marry someone Japanese, or you are in big trouble." Now look at me, I married an American but ended up living in Japan and loving the food! Who knew?! This helps me to be more patient with my own picky daughter. She is still picky, but better than I ever was. When I was 8 years old, my Mom was lucky if I ate plain rice, whereas at the same age, Emma loves salmon rice balls wrapped in seaweed (shake onigiri). Yum yum.

3 comments:

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

WOW! I don't know if I could eat that. I would try it....but not sure if I could finish it. And to see your fish killed right there, now there's fresh! Stew loves sushi. I bet if I had the "real deal" I'd like it more. Yum Yum!

dallin+michelle said...

well i've NEVER had sushi THAT fresh! sheesh... do they do a small ceremony before you say good-bye to your little fishy friends snf chop their heads off-- yikes! please tell me you don't pick out which one you want to eat. now that's some serious service...

Glenn said...

Now I know what inspired Stew to start growing that beard.