February 8, 2008

Born in the USA

The kids had "One World Day" at school, where everyone comes dressed in their "Native" costume. Hmmmm. Do Americans have a native costume?

QUIZ
America's native costume is:

a) blue jeans and a t-shirt
b) saggy pants that show your underwear, a sideways ball cap, and a few gold chains
c) Native American headress, leather vest with fringe, and face paint
d) anything red, white, and blue (even if that means tripling your "scrunchies")
e) goth (black, black, and more black)
f) cowboy (but not necessarily "red neck")
g) all of the above
h) none of the above
i) [enter your idea here]


My idea was to combine RED, WHITE, BLUE, and COWBOY.
(well technically speaking, it is an Indiana Jones hat and not a cowboy hat, but I got creative)Most of the children had amazing costumes from their countries... Korea, Holland, India, China, Switzerland, Ireland, Thailand, Spain, Japan, Italy, Uruguay, and more.

And, for as much as I enjoyed seeing the costumes from around the world, I also enjoyed seeing what Americans pulled together as their costume. For example, Maurielle (on the far right) dressed in a 1950's poodle skirt. I thought that was a pretty good idea.


How would you dress your child for One World Day?

9 comments:

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

American styles? So many to choose from. Ancestors...Irish or Scottish. But I probably would have looked at things we had to choose something. So I probably would have done pioneer something. We don't have too much "cowboy" stuff yet. ha ha. Love the choices. Such a fun idea with all the different countries to represent. Too fun! Very cute kids!

Natalie said...

Wow, tough assignment. I would say all of the above. But the cowboy idea you came up with is perfect! You are such a creative and fun mom.

Jen-E said...

Yes, the cowboy stuff is great and the bobbysoxer too - I probably would have dressed them all up like Uncle Sam...I must have the 3rd Grade Patriotic program on my brain. What fun to have to think about it and what fun to have your kids get such "cultural" life experience. Amazing.

Kim said...

I think I might have chosen an era to dress the kids up as. Jon and Sammy are going to Honeycreek in March so I am working on outfits for them right now. Any ideas for a boy? (that Jon would tolerate) I'm using a Holly Hobby pattern for Sammy's dress because it is so cute and I love teh patchwork idea.
P.S. I love the Ostlund Family Stik Doodz! Too cute!

Ginny said...

Love the outfit... cowboy is very cool! You're whole blog is really funny, cute and easy to keep on reading and reading! You've got to toast a great family & lovely Japan to put together such a great story!

Grammie said...

Definitely DARLING! Very clever choices! Good job, Momma! Couldn't be better. I went to Small World at Disneyland today and remember they only have TWO dolls to represent the US... A cowboy and an Indian. Guess that makes the choices simple! If cowboy makes sense to Disney, then it must be the best answer... Never doubt Disney.
Big hugs! Love, Mom

Ginger Rogers said...

Hooray for the COWBOY YEEHAW!!!!!!!I say you were Spot on! We are HOODLUMS>>>>>We are cowboys over here! Cowboys are free spirits who want to do what they want when they want and of course they want freedom and LAND!!!!!! So you go girl! Last year Greyson had a performance where all the kids had to dress as their native country. If they didn't have anything they were to wear a white t shirt. A HEM>>>>>>> can you just picture this???? YES,.....lots of WHITE kids in WHITE t shirts....with a crowd full of sombreros and such. I was so mad I said "Greyson, you're going as an AMERICAN COWBOY cause that's what your heritage was....cowboys ready to be wild and free! Your're such an awesome Mom Trace! You "Rule the school"

Ginger Rogers said...

P.S......
I also LOVED that you picked red white and blue!!!!!!! That is AWESOME!!!!!! I thought out of all the kids you picked the most American looking! YEE HAW!!!
Hooray for the red white and blue....

sweetcakes said...

Very clever! It kind of reminds me of International Potluck at UES.