September 11, 2007

Driving Miss Tracey


Okay, originally when I learned that Japanese cars have steering wheels on the right side, that they drive on the left side of the street, and that there are many teeny, tiny, ONE WAY streets, I vowed not to drive in Japan for at least 6 months. Well.... only 3 days after living here, I needed to go to the grocery store and rather than take a taxi I decided to drive our minivan.... ahhhhh! I drove with my new friend, April Cook. She was fabulous. Not only did she not panic when I instinctively tried to drive on the right side of the road, especially after making a turn, but she would very calmly remind me to stay left. Only a few times did she shout "stay left, stay left, STAY LEFT!" It was totally funny. You've got to have a sense of humor about these things. I felt very accomplished when we reached our destination without injury.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I am impressed - I can hardly drive in the US without incident. You truly have an adventurous spirit! Keep it up.

Natalie said...

Three days? Good for you. And I'm glad you're still with us ;)

Stewart Van Buskirk said...

"stay left, stay left, STAY LEFT!"- Very funny.