September 17, 2007

Can You Read My Sign?

So, three weeks of living here and I have driven more regularly than I thought I would. That poses a problem to a certain degree... uh... I can't read the street signs. I soon realized this was a problem when I went the wrong way down a ONE WAY street... oops. Other than the dirty looks from the drivers, we got out of there unscathed. When I drive, I just laugh and tell my children "we're having an adventure right??" and then I quickly ask "is everyone wearing their seatbelts?"

Now some of you may ask yourselves "How did Tracey pass her driver's test if she cannot read street signs?" To that I will reply "What happens in Tokyo, stays in Tokyo."


Okay, this sign is easy enough to read.


What about this sign? I mean it has the shape of a yield, but it is red like a stop sign... see what I mean? This sign reading stuff gets tricky.

Can you read this sign? You are doing well...



But then this sign poses a problem... is it telling you the speed limit for cars or for walkers and bicyclists? The circle with the line through it probably means something is not allowed, but I am unclear what. So I decided this means that no one under the age of 40 is allowed to walk a child or ride a bike here. How's that?

Oh good, another easy sign.


But then this sign came along and well... I have no clue what it says...



I can read this sign loud and clear.

But then I found this sign and I don't know if it is telling me the type of tree it is or that if you touch it you will die of sap poisoning... hmmmmm. Be safe and don't touch it.



Last but not least, here is a sign I can read, although I don't get it. It is a picture of a gorgeous white Mediterranean home surrounded by several beautiful pools and it reads "For Your Future". I am looking at this tiny, disheveled lot, and I think to myself, "someone has a great imagination."

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I like your translations best. Especially the one about no one under the age of 40 ...

Kim said...

Too funny! I love the fact that you are finding a way to get around despite not knowing what the signs are really telling you! But, be careful...

Stewart Van Buskirk said...

That was awesome. I need the pics of those signs. I talk about signs/symbols with my art students. It would be great to show them these and have them try to figure them out.