October 6, 2010

Tsukiji Fish Market

5:00 AM 
Lisa, Brent, and I made the trek to the Tsukiji Fish Market
Brent had a book that listed the top 1000 things you should do before you die...
Tsukiji was on the list,
check check!



What's at the market?
Eels....swimming in blood




Octopus



Giant Clams with giant SLUGS crawling out of them




Fish Heads, Fish Heads, eat them up yum!





Did I mention FISH HEADS?
 



Itsy bitsy, teeny weeny, WHITE FISH
these are mostly a food topping... they taste salty



And of course GIANT TUNA... 
I think tuna is the main staple of Japan
(but don't quote me on that)



First order of business is the AUTION where you buy your tuna
(Pulled off the ships and sprayed with a liquid that FREEZES them instantly)



Then the tuna is pulled around the market on these ancient wagons






Modern wagons... motorized... vrooom, vrooom!


However, my favorite scene
looks right out of a gory murder scene
BLOOD, GUTS, KNIVES, and PICKAXE





 Now its time to EAT the fish... 
Who's up for MORNING SUSHI?


Lisa's doctor told her she could not eat sushi because she is pregnant, so that meant Brent and I were the only brave souls left. Now, you may think "oh, what's the problem, I love sushi?"  The problem is eating warm, FRESH sushi after newly witnessing all of the blood and hacking that went on only a few feet away from you, not to mention, it is still 5:30 in the morning.... uh, cocoa puffs?



And this guy?  He is Mr. Entrepreneur.  He would not allow Brent and I to buy just a few pieces of sushi.  Oh no, we had to each order a minimum of ONE SET-O, at $25 bucks each.   That means 8 pieces of super fresh, warm, sushi.  In my best Japanese, I tried to keep it light and ask him if he was joking "anata no jodan?" and could we just order a few pieces?  That's when he gave me a super dirty look and said "ie", NO.




Check out Lisa's face... she was grossed out and she was not even eating it!







Here goes nothing!


Yum!
The only one I could not eat was the "sea urchin" sushi (uni)... not my fav.

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

First off I have to say these are not the best pictures of my little hubby (: haircut? Second... I would call "Mr. Entrepreneur" the Sushi Natzi instead. This was a crazy place to visit! So worth getting up at the crack of dawn. Awesome! Thank heavens I was pregnant and didn't have to experience "ALL" of it (: