October 21, 2010

Shoeless Joe


Jonas needed new shoes desperately, but he kept saying he did not need them and  that his shoes fit fine.  Finally I took him  to the shoe store anyways and bought him new shoes.  From the back of my bike seat, I could tell he was crying.  I asked him why?  "Because I've had these shoes for so long and they are special"  (He's had them for a whole 7 months).  I reminded him that his shoes have holes in them and his toes are sticking out.  He said "Don't say that outloud".  I quickly got the message, that these shoes are "real" to him.  As a compromise, I told him he could keep both pair, but he had to wear the nice pair to school.  After a long pause, and a few more tears, he added,

"okay, but will you save them for my kids?"   Melt my heart.


 Grandkids... I've got some mighty special shoes for you.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

that is too funny. i know a 17 yo who was like this with a blanket.

Mom/Grammie/Sally said...

Oh my gosh.. MELT my heart!!! I did the same thing when I was his age, only I cried about a pair of ugly brown shoes that I wasn't being "fair" to because I favored the blue ones. I repented and was nicer to the ugly brown ones. It wasn't thier fault they were ugly...

Kim said...

Oh my gosh! What a darling kid! (are you going to save the shoes?)

dallin+michelle said...

oh how i love him!!! tracey this is just too too sweet... see he is a sweet boy... he just has a lot of energy! guess this is one special item in the hope chest. who says hope chests just accumulate junk anyway?? i love how pathetic his "modeling" face is in this shot :)

Lisa Brown said...

That is THE best story! Little sensitive cherub (: So cute! What a sweet heart. Kids are the best... they lead such a simple life.

Jennifer Napierski said...

Bless his heart. How sweet. And I know the wonderful Mom that you are you will have those puppies bronzed and on the mantle!