October 6, 2010

Browns Visit Japan

February 2010,
sister Lisa and husband Brent visited us in Japan

(this is what you call "behind in my posts" or "catching up")

Here are some of my favorite random pics from their trip!

Giant Naan bread, yum!



Glenn and I did a temple session with them. 


 Yummy snacks in a crowded marketplace = Japan


 Sansoji Temple


 Magic floating soba noodles

 Local Samurai

 Ichiku Kubota Art Museum


 Come on Lisa, show us your pregnant belly....




Uncle Brent and Jonas bonded
Thank you Brent, you are awesome!





 Swan Boat Rides around Lake Kawaguchiko



The girls and I raced Brent and Lisa... we were laughing SO hard!





Nihon Minka-en, in Kawasaki, Japan

This is a folk house museum.  One of the things I love about Japan, is that lawsuits are not a big part of the culture.  So you can go to a museum where your six year old can sit only a few inches from the fire so that he can blow into a tube to make the fire bigger.... awesome.




 At the same museum, your 6 year old can use a REAL SAW and cut wood to make a Japanese broom handle.... this would never be permitted in the USA.

 At Nihon Minka-en, we also got to tie-dye (shibori) a handkerchief


 We used clips, marbles, rubberbands, and old film containers to make patterns.



Now this was one project I wished a 6 year old could NOT do... bleech!






Our teacher models with our finished products!




Pretty Japanese Folk House




We love you Brent and Lisa! 
We had the best time ever!!

2 comments:

Stewart Van Buskirk said...

I need some naan bread! I was just telling some of my students the other day about it, and I have been wanting is bad ever since. I'm on a quest to find some now.

Smoochie Lady April of Cook said...

Wow... you have done sooooo much more than we ever did. Where is the place with the fantastic broken steps???

I want to learn to do my hair in the spiral curls like you... I always meant to ask you how you did that. Anyway, fabulous... fabulous as always....
smooches, april