September 22, 2009

Thomas Visit to Japan





My newlywed sister Michelle and her husband Dallin came to Tokyo for a visit, shortly after my parents left.  We hit a few of the same tourist spots, but mostly we tried new places.  I knew that Dallin could only handle so many shrines before he went batty, so I tried to pick "active" tourist adventures!


SHOWA KINEN PARK


Does this remind you of, "The Never Ending Story"?



Dallin caught "some" air on the marshmellow mounds... uh, wow


Michelle had better toe-touches than me and she never even did cheer




Dallin lured quite a crowd of school kids and like the Pied Piper, they followed him around until he was forced to make a quick getaway




Tulip Festival at Showa Kinen




 HAKONE Open Air Art Museum






Creative nets with crawling holes to climb in and out


Dallin... now you see him, now you don't



Feeding the COY FISH, Michelle actually pet one :)



At the end of the museum path, there is a FOOT SPA... ahhhh so nice



Then we rode the ropeway to the OWAKUDANI NATURAL HOT SPRINGS



This area is famous for KUROTAMAGO which means black egg
(even Hello Kitty is dressed in a black egg costume for this tourist hit)


Steam comes from the hot springs and there is a heavy sulphur smell in the air...
PEEE EWWW


The eggs are cooked in the sulphur water and it turns them black


They were stinky and looked wierd, but actually YUMMY!

 



HAMARIKYU GARDENS during SAKURA season


Tea House in the center where we had Matcha Tea




HEIWA NO MORI Obstacle Course Park





We all fell into this water and became completely soaked
(bummer...pictures accidentally got deleted )



ZOZOJI Buddhist Temple


Cool idea to lean on these huge red doors... uh, wet paint? 
And now a stain to always remember Tokyo.


TOKYO TOWER







Bye Bye Michelle and Dallin... we had fun!


3 comments:

Glenn said...

cool pictures. I don't think I had seen them yet. I have another one of Dallin though that you should have put up there as well. Thinking man pose... kind of.

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Awww! Every new post of your latest visitor is KILLING me!! I WILL GET THERE!! :) Love the pics. I love that you did "active" things for Dallin. LOL I love that he became the Pied Piper. Totally can see that. I love the marshmallow mounds! That reminded me of Willy Wonka! Oh, and totally thought of The Never Ending Story when I saw that dragon. ha ha Beautiful pictures. Your camera really picked up on the green in all the shots. Loved it! I have to comment on Michelle petting a fish... that's our animal girl. :) And... uh... is Glenn about to lick you in the HAMARIKYU GARDENS? Gross!! LOL

Lisa Brown said...

I am definitely in admiration right about now! What an absolutely FUN trip! So many abstract sculptures and obscure things to do. Envious? yes! Like Kristine- I hope to be making it out there too!