November 8, 2008

She's Having a Boy

Five years ago, when I found out I was having a boy, I panicked. I was shocked and frankly disappointed. Maybe it was because I was raised in a house full of girls. Maybe it was because after having two girls I thought having all girls was also my path. I am not proud of the thoughts that swirled around in my head:

- I don't want to decorate a "dinosaur" theme room
- I don't like Lego's, cars, or trains
- Boy clothes are ugly
- Soccer, karate, and t-ball are boring
- Power Rangers are lame
- Baditude scares me

the sad list goes on...

Then one night, I had a dream of a young man with long sandy blond hair, playing a guitar and sitting around a group of teenage friends. He had friends from all walks of life and was very kind to them all. He had a great sense of humor and was really relaxed.... I would even say "cool". I woke up and it dawned on me that just because we were having a boy did not mean that he was going to be how I stereo-typed a boy would be (shaved head kid wearing a Thomas the Train tanktop and Tevo sandals). He would be raised by us, Glenn and Tracey. He would enjoy what we enjoy: Harry Potter, Beatles music, Medieval knights, basketball, dressing up in costumes, history, guitar and piano, reading, swimming, etc.

I had forgotten about these random pregnancy thoughts until one day in spring 2008, I walked in on this scene: Glenn teaching Jonas how to play the guitar.

And there he was, my son, being raised by my husband who I adore. He is a very cool 4 year old boy, who is more fun that I ever imagined a son would be. He is relaxed, he is funny, he doesn't have a dinosaur-theme room, and he doesn't wear Tevos... he wears flip flops. I think our favorite thing about Jonas is how much he loves dress up and creative play: Zorro, Superman, Power Rangers, Knights, Spiderman, pirates, and more.



And guess what else? I love Power Rangers, superheros, and Lego's. And, Jonas has already played on a soccer team... why? Because I love what he loves because I love him. Its funny how that happened so naturally. I love who Jonas is becoming and I am grateful for Glenn's influence in his life. I married Glenn because he is not the "typical" boy. He is creative, musical, intelligent, athletic, and best of all, he doesn't think driving in the mud in a lifted truck with giant wheels is a good time.

She had a boy and they lived happily ever after.

5 comments:

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

AMEN!! I couldn't agree more! Love seeing him play the guitar! He is a doll! Kiss him from his Aunt Kristine! I think Liam will be the same, except he already has had the shaved head....but he was wearing flip flops! ha ha. Love him!!

Into the Wood's said...

I love that you love those boys!! I do too!!

dallin+michelle said...

LOVE to hear glenn play the guitar AND the piano for that matter... if jonas gets this talent... watch out ladies! he is hands down a doll! i love him! we've got to come visit ;)

Ginger Rogers said...

Ok, Glenn seriously wins DAD of the YEAR!!! No..., DAD of the century! He ROCKS at being the best Dad ever!!!!!!!! Not all Dad's enjoy playing with their kids. My own kids talk about how fun Uncle Glenn is all the time. Especially Greyson who thinks Uncle Glenn is SO Cool and so much fun! These pictures are just too precious. I LOVE JONAS with his shirt and the color of his hair and the color of his guitar. Such a CUTIE! The boy is a total Hottie hands down! Melt my butter!

Glenn said...

Maybe not the truck, but I do like some of those mud flaps (which betimes make an interesting belt buckle). And just for the record, Jonas will also like Lost, and doing silly voices, and playing video games.

I'm not sure how I feel about him melting his aunt's butter. Wait -- yes I do. Icky.