November 22, 2008

11 Going on 42


My Mom is always telling me that I don't give my kids enough responsibility and that I do too much for them. Maybe she is right. However, this particular day proved Shailey is amazingly responsible for an 11 year old girl.

I had an all day modeling shoot with Emma, Glenn had to work unusually late until 9:30pm, and Shailey ended up with a modeling audition that same night. I would not be able to take her to the audition, but she insisted she wanted to do it anyway, so I gave her maps for how to get there, and she called me from her cell phone at every stop. Here is Shailey's day:

8:00am -3:30pm attend 6th grade school classes

3:30pm pick up Jonas from school

15 minute walk to take Jonas to Napierski's house (family friends)

15 minute walk back to school for netball practice

4:00-5:00 netball practice

change clothes for audition

go to Hiroo and take subway for 7 stops and 1 transfer in Roppongi

5:40 meet agent at subway exit

5:45-7:00pm audition (which included some singing too)

take subway back to Azabu Juban this time, only 6 stops and 1 transfer

20 minute walk to Napierski's house to pick up Jonas

7 minute walk Jonas home

7:30 pm bathe Jonas and get him in his pajamas

cook herself eggs for dinner

8:30pm Mom gets home


WOW. WOW. WOW.


I did try to get a babysitter to help with Shailey's subway ride, but no one was available. Shailey tried to get a friend to go with her, but that did not work either. Glenn tried to come home earlier, but couldn't. It was a crazy day. I could not have gotten through the day without Shailey. She was MOM for the day and was a TROOPER. She is brave, independent, confident, responsible, and very very mature. I love this girl. She is my gem.
PS. for those who don't know, Japan is the safest country in the world with the lowest crime rate.... so the subways are not as scary as they might seem :)

9 comments:

Lucy said...

Seriously, I freak out on the subway in Baltimore. AMAZING.

I don't think I could let my girl go on her own like that... maybe Japan is better than here! Or, I need to loosen some apron strings myself!

Glenn said...

Shailey is such an amazing girl. It is really hard to imagine that she is still only 11 years old. She is everything I ever hoped for in a daughter and so much more. I can't say enough about how great she is. I'm really glad you made this post.

Ginger Rogers said...

First off......LOVE THE GORGEOUS PHOTO!!! Green is sOOOOOOOOO her color!!!!! Ok, second.......I am speechless.......I try to picture this happening if I were in your shoes. Um......nope! YOU ARE such a great mother to trust. And you are totally faithful....and you have incredible guardian angles, and you have an amazingly responsible daughter to which you must give yourself mucho credit! AND>>>>>>>all this is completely even more incredible cause you are in a foreign country. HELLO!!!! Read a sign if you're lost....ah what? But Shailey....mrs. Read japanese! Oh, so impressive and oh so impressive of you to let her do this. I'll say as I read it was was gripping my leg, then as I read your reminder of how much safer the subways are there than the metro here in California etc.....I did feel better. But crime aside, and safe subway or not......what she did was AMAZING!!! I was braging about it to mom today! :) I love you! Hug Mrs. Shailey for me!

sweetcakes said...

Wow! Amazing and very brave of you and her!

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Wow! She's so grown up! Her hair has grown so much already. She must have my hair. LOL I wish we lived where I could allow the girls more responsibility. The other day, I had to take Julia and Liam to the Dr.'s. I could not pick them up from school. I usually pick up Greyson too. I called the school and left a message for Kirra to pick up her sister and walk to my friends house, who lives closer to the school. I knew Trisha would not be happy with Greyson walking, so I had to call another friend of Trisha's and had her take Greyson home. I tried to call Trisha, but she was helping in Aleigh's class, so she couldn't pick up the phone. When Trisha heard I had the girls walk home, she was shocked I allowed it. I guess I'm not as freaked out here in CA. :) I would love to allow the girls to walk home everyday, if we lived closer. I only allowed it, because it's a very safe walk home. Maybe we'll move to Japan. ha ha I WISH!!

dallin+michelle said...

VERY impressive! Nice work Miss Shailey! How'd the musical audition go though? THAT's even more brave!! If i was her I'd consider the subway easy breezy, but the singing audition, YIKES! of course she's a natural... got glenn's performing talent ;)

Mark, Robin, Mitchell, and Jarod Ormsby said...

OK the story was great, but the justification made me laugh....It was like...listen I am not as stupid as it may sound and did give it some thought......Way to go...this is a compliment to her parents for making her so responsible.

Alison said...

Wow, that is so amamzing. What a good girl! I can't believe she is 11! =)

Natalie said...

I am so impressed!!