November 20, 2008

Littlest Pets

Emma loves animals. Emma loves any kind of animal... from aardvarks to zebras... she loves animals. She doesn't care if they are real or stuffed because they are all real to her.

However, Emma was born to a mother who is also known as....

"THE STUFFED ANIMAL NAZI"

That's right. Emma has collected so many stuffed animals over the years I decided the new rule is that if she gets a new one, she has to get rid of an old one. Am I horrible? And yet, with Nazi mother and all these rules, she still manages to have a load of "stuffies" in Japan, as well as in Indiana.

Furry or plastic, big or small, it does not matter. A few years ago she started collecting "Littlest Pets". Originally I loved the idea of "Littlest Pets"... great name, great idea... collecting a lot of tiny animals that can fit into one shoebox. However, just like "stuffies", Littlest pets add up too and before you know it, you're inundated with them. Check out this pile. This is after she gave a handful away to her 2nd grade auction.




Then one day, I finally caved. Emma saved her money and bought her own first, real, truly live, PET (she said fish don't count). She got a hamster and named him "Pumpkin". She was in heaven!!! She kept pinching herself saying "is this real... do I really have my own pet.... this is the happiest day of my life.... there will never be a better day than this!"


Look at her face... it screams, "pure glee".

Shailey ended up buying one with her own money too. And Emma faithfully cleans BOTH cages each week and feeds BOTH hamsters daily without a complaint. She said she actually enjoys cleaning their cages... one word.... pet lover.

Emma got a little pet and they lived happily ever after.

11 comments:

sweetcakes said...

Yes, her face shows it all! Absolutely adorable! I'll look forward to future posts, about hamster mishaps, like "Pumpkin's Adventure Out of the Cage."

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

OMG! What a doll! I miss her! Love her pet! It's so cute and little. She is such an animal lover! I have to say, I'm a Nazi too! Except it's not animals but dolls. Growing up Santa always brought a new doll. I say continuously, to Santa, NOT in our house! LOL I have the same rule....get one, get rid of one. I think it's a very valid rule. :) I even say, no more than 10. ha ha. I miss Emma! Kiss her from Aunt Kristine. I'm sad we won't see you at Christmas, but we'll be thinking of you! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tracey,
Happy Thanksgiving! It was so good to talk with you the other day. Wow, a pet hamster! You are a good Mom!
I won't let my kiddos have those. I am afraid they will ecape from their cages. Both my kids want a pet - a dog, or a cat, or a hamster - but I haven't given in yet. I can't let my kids know about these hamsters 'cause they
would truly be jealous!
Anyhow, hope you had a good thanksgiving!
We are looking forward to seeing you soon. Even though it has gone by so quickly it still feels like a long time.
Jen Oler & family

Glenn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Mitchells said...

My kids LOVE pets! We have a dog, a cat, a snake, and two rabbits. While in Maryland we had numerous frogs and lizards too! The kids have to take care of their pets. I will only feed the dog. Our rule is that they have to pay for the pet gear (cages, food, etc.) and then the pet. I love the expression on the kids faces when they get their pet. We have said no more pets until the current ones die. Sometimes I feel like we live on a farm :) -Missy

dallin+michelle said...

too darling! and yes her face is smothered in pure glee! i didn't see pumpkin though? is that the little grey guy... send us Debbie's address too if you could. we'll need to send the christmas presents there... we'll miss you in CA ;(

Ginger Rogers said...

Ok, I viewed this a long time ago but didn't have time to post. OH MY GOSH..........is that the cutest little critter ever! and his name......so cute...."pumpkin". I can hear Emmas voice saying that. Trace.....what a smart Momma you are! Giving her a real little pet. So smart! Mrs. neat and tidy and so organized, if someones gonna take GREAT care of a pet, it's EMMA!!!!!!! Oh, she looks so so happy! Let's say Greyson and Emma will be sharing a farm when they grow up. Maybe take over Mom and Dad's and raise all their animals together! :) I can't get over how darling little pumpkin is......Love it! Now, I'm guessing Japanese mice are a lot less messy than California mice? You know, it's in their blood to be tidy! :) You're a great Momma! Love you!

Alison said...

My kids love animals of all kinds too - both real and stuffed. I figure we'll cave when they are old enough to take care of it themselves. I think by then we can go straight for a dog and skip the hamster...but I don't know that hamster is pretty cute.

Natalie said...

Tracey, she is so adorable. I love that she has such a love for animals. ANd I also really like your pet nazi rules. Very fair and resonable, if you ask me. :)

Kim said...

I can identify with the many stuffed animals. Although I can't imagine throwing any of Sammy's "friends" away. Tough love.

Anonymous said...

BBBBBBBBAAAAABBBBBBYYYYYYYY PPPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUMMMMM{PPPPKKKKKIIIINNN IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOVE him!!!!!!! Emma