May 11, 2008

Momma Said There'd Be Days Like This

"Momma said there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this, my Momma said"... This 1960's song could not ring more true. I distinctly remember my Mom saying "Just wait until you're a Mom, and then you'll know."
Well Mom.... I know. I know what it is like to have a very clean house destroyed the instant your kids come home from school.
I know what it is like to spend the day preparing a yummy dinner, only to hear that it is the grossest meal anyone ever ate in their life.
I know what it is like to sit on the floor for hours next to the toilet where your toddler sits waiting for "something" to happen.
I know what it is like to be painfully exhausted after being up all night with a sick child.

And, while cleaning, cooking, toilet training, and sick children are my least favorite parts of motherhood, I also know what it is like to have my little one crawl into my lap and say 'I love you Momma'.

I know what it is like to gather my children around to read their favorite stories.

I know what it is like to watch my child perform a piano piece they spent many hours learning.

I know what it is like to pick my child up from school and be greeted with a bear hug that knocks me over.

I know what it is like to take my child for a walk and watch them discover every magical bug and animal along the way.

I know what it is like to lay by my child at night and hear about their adolescent struggles.

And, I know what it is like to look into my children's eyes, see their old soul, and know that while I influence their life, they are their own person, and I hope they will grow up to be better than me.

So, to my own mother, I say thank you.

Thank you for giving me room to be myself.

Thank you for singing my baby song on my darkest days.

Thank you for encouraging me to try new things and then for being there when I failed or succeeded.

Thank you for allowing me to struggle to get my boots on, but being there when I ultimately needed your help.

Thank you for always taking the opportunity to point things out and teach me.

Thank you for reading every scary book I got my hands on and then for listening to the details of my resulting nightmares.

Thank you for staying up late to watch a civil war drama with me.

Thank you for saturday nights with Dance Fever and pink sponge curlers.

Thank you for endless batches of fresh cookies and homemade popcorn.

Thank you for hours of talking at the kitchen counter.

Thank you for always being awake and ready to hear the details of my date night.

Thank you for our walks to exercise and visit.

Thank you for being an amazing grandma who adores my children.

Thank you for giving me the confidence to know that no matter what happens, I am truly loved.

"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high..."

Mom, I love you.

12 comments:

Smoochie Lady April of Cook said...

Hey... See me being the first to comment!!! You know what I love and hate about your blog Tracey (here's me ever willing to admit my inadequacies), that your posts are so fabulous. I think, "Dang, I wish I had done that first." Sometimes I even ponder copying you but I can just hear you say, "Tacky... tacky..." So, I won't be tacky I'll just wish I had the gumption to be because this is a truly fabulous post. I even got choked up while reading it out loud to Justin!

Anonymous said...

When God gave you to me and I aways knew I was blessed to be your mother. Thank you daughter for being my treasure. Happy Mother's Day to a perfect mother. (Mothers don't come any better~!) My memories with you bring me great joy... I am so grateful for you in my life. I love you, daughter...
Love, Mom

Ginger Rogers said...

Happy Mothers Day to the most AMAZING MOTHER ON EARTH!!!!!!!! YOU TRACE! This tribute was so beautiful and so true! Mom really did teach us so much and did so much to keep us headed in the right direction- and to prepare us for our own motherhood one day. It seemed that was always in her words and actions in everything she did. You are an incredible Mother Trace, and you really have a gift. I felt you always had "Motherhood" in your actions and thoughts as a young girl; Mrs. Hopechest filler with fun things... Homemade heart place mats and ice cube trays, collecting holiday tradition ideas, recipes, things from "current Magazine" etc....you were always preparing yourself for these days...and as you are living it now, look how your planning and preparing paid off. You really are an INCREDIBLE mother! Kristine and I talk about it all the time! You inspire me! :) I love you so so much! Love, Trisha

Anonymous said...

Love that you commented on your own blog! I KNOW.....if you were home you would have scanned and re scanned and scanned some more, etc. getting all the ages, and equal photos of each child growing up through the years, first tooth, each child learning to be potty trained, each child taking a first bike ride, first step, crawling, hospital photos etc. ......I think it's GREAT you were in Japan and were able to bring it down a notch. A free ticket to not have it be too amazing! :) Though the slide show would have been INCREDIBLE with old past photos........this slide show was INCREDIBLE TOO!!! YOU LOOK FABULOUS in every photo! And every photo is showing that you and your kids have GREAT times together! I loved it! LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! ....I KNEW why there were only current digital photos......you CRACK ME UP!!!! I love you!!!! Love, TRISHA

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - brought back some good memories. I hope to received something like that from my own girls someday, thanks for the tears.

Happy Mother's Day!!

Love, Vicki

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here in tears after reading your blog. Yep. I know some
of those things, too. It's not always what I want it to be, but as a
whole, it is a rich life. Thanks for sharing!

-Emily Bradshaw

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracey,
Thanks for posting your tribute to Mom's or Mother's day. That was perfect! Loved the photos too of you and yours.
Sure miss you all!! Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Happy Mother's day! You are a real example of a GREAT MOM! Hope you have a wonderful Mother's day 'cause you certainly deserve it!
Take care,
Jen

Mark, Robin, Mitchell, and Jarod Ormsby said...

That was very heart felt and unique. Your Mom is awesome, and I was glad that I was avle to relate to some of your words. I remember talking with your mom at the counter many of times. She was always very kind to me and made a very important impact on my life. She deserved everything you said about her. Happy Mother's Day Sally, and the rest of you Mothers out there!!!

Da Woman said...

Wow, i wish I could get this many people to comment on my blog! Tracey, that was so beautiful. I've always felt that you are one of the most amazing women I've ever met. I think that you are a magnificent mother. Your kids adore you, so you know you're doing something right. You'll always inspire me to reach higher as a mother. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I wish I could think of something that beautiful to say. I miss you and your family and look forward to seeing you again.

Love,
Sarah

Lucy said...

YOU totally look like your mother! And such a fab post!

Natalie said...

What a tender and sweet post - so well said! I hope you had a great Mother's Day, you're one of the best moms I know!

Annette said...

WOW! What an amazing post! Just reading the things you wrote reminds me of why I think your whole family is so special. You are all incredible mothers.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED seeing Sally Mom with the beehive! That was great! So beautiful; she hasn't changed a single bit.

Keep the blog posts coming--I love reading about your adventures! =)

Love & Mega Hugs,
Annette