May 5, 2008

Meji Shrine

Our family took a day trip to Meji Shinto Shrine. Shintoism and Buddhism are the two main religions of Japan. Shintoism is the oldest religion of Japan, with an emphasis on nature worship. While in western culture, people claim to be faithful to only one religion, in Japan, it is acceptable to practice both religions simultaneously. A Japanese friend told me that when her mother died, she was buried in a Shinto cemetary, but the funeral services were Buddhist. She said this is a very common practice.

We are standing in front of a large wooden structure called a TORII GATE. A Torii gate symbolizes entrance to a holy place and most often they are painted red.In front of the actual shrine, there is a washing station for visitors to purify themselves before they enter (think of holy water in a Catholic church entrance). You pour the water into each hand and then press your hands together in a prayer fashion.Entering the shrine. This artwork in the shape of a boat is an offering to the Gods and is made entirely of fruits and vegetables.
The temple is made of beautifully detailed wood carvings.
Here are wooden plaques called "Ema" where you write down your prayer.
A prayer in English caught Emma's attention because it asked for "Felix" to be blessed.... we left our family cat named Felix in Indiana and Emma misses her.


Daddy tells our kids stories of Japan and they soak up every word.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracey! I read all your blogs, but somehow missed the family picture in kimonos! Oh i just love it! I tried to get Craig to buy matching Ghanaian outfits. Families here match a pattern together and get all their clothes made to match. He said, "no, when will we ever where it all together! I can't wear it to church, blah blah blah." I finally got him to get a matching outfit with Spencer and I have a matching outfit with Rachel and they match all together but are different colors. the boys are brown and purple (the only way I could get this was if her chose his colors!) and the girls and brown and green. I still haven't had them all made yet, but good idea, we'll get a family picture in them. although, they don't really have studios here. we'll just have to do an outside one and hope that the grass we stand on hasn't been peed on! I MISS YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

Love,
Sarah Waite

Del said...

I'm so jealous of what you guys are getting to do. I have been wanting to even take Jen to Japan for a vacation and can't get her to go. I can't imagine how cool it would be to do what you guys are doing.

Into the Wood's said...

I LOVE that you are taking the opportunities to enjoy your time in Japan-- giving the children such great exposure--

Love,
Debbie

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

So cool! Japanese structures are a favorite of ours. We really love the art work especially! They just seem so peaceful. Love the pictures.

Smoochie Lady April of Cook said...

Is there such a thing as a bad photo of you??? Here's the thing with my blog--there aren't many photos of me because I look terrible in most photos but HELLO you always look amazing. Yesterday at the park you were sitting there in the sun, just hanging out in casual clothes, your hair pulled back and you looked amazing. I should have told you then. It's not fair. How do you do that? We need to do a hair swap that is all there is to it... Smooches!

Natalie said...

I agree with smoochie lady. You always look amazing, Tracey! Looks like a fun time together with the family. What amazing memories you're making!

Glenn Ostlund said...

Wow, thanks April. I didn't realize you saw me there at the park.

Del, I'm the one who's jealous. Peanut M&M's, Starburst Jellybeans, AND Cheez-its? No fair.