May 7, 2009

Word to My Mother


The best thing my Mother did was read to me.

Rain or shine, tired or not tired, my Mother read to us every single night. This is especially amazing considering she grew up in a home with a single Mother who NEVER read to her because she always worked the night shift. My Mom made a promise to herself that life would be different for her kids and she kept that promise.


We were mostly middle class, bordering on poor growing up, but that did not stop us from frequenting the Monrovia Public Library. And poor or not, on Book Fair Day at school, we got to pick out a new book marker and a couple of books. I loved that! Our home bookshelves were always brimming with treasures. And, at Christmas time, you could be assured a few classics in your stocking.

I love reading to my kids. It is probably the most consistently nice thing I do. It is my favorite moment of the day. I love to create voices that transcend the grumpy end-of-the-day Mom into a happy one. I love children's books.... you can't get any better than Frog and Toad,  Magic Treehouse, or Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus... they are fabulous.

I also love my children. I am thankful to pass on my love for books to them. Emma and Shailey are superb readers and Jonas is not far behind. Jonas' teacher at school told me that for as wiggly as he is, he can sure sit still during story time... she said he gets so engrossed in the story that he does not move... amazing.

I am thankful to be a mother. I am thankful for a Mother who loved reading to me and 36 years later, still does! Thank you Mom and Happy Mother's Day.


PS, thank you to my sweet husband who, all on his own, captured this candid reading moment on film. That is the best Mother's Day present you could have given me. I love you.

8 comments:

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Very sweet! What's funny is, I was thinking... I wish I had a fun picture of me reading to my kids. That IS a treasure. Posing for it is not the same. :) Great story. I read to my kids every night, but sometimes I feel it a chore more than good mommy time. I think I need to re-evaluate my attitude. Thanks for the reminder, AWESOME mom! And of course to my own mother who was equally as AWESOME! Love you both!

Alison said...

Happy Mother's Day Tracey! Enjoyed all your posts. It's so great to be able to see how you are doing.
Happy reading...we love it here at our house too. =)
xoxo

The Bock Family said...

Did you know there are 3 more sequels to Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus? That book is one of my favorites and I love the sequels too. Don't Let the Pigeon Stay up Late and The Pigeon Wants a Hot Dog. A third one just came out recently and I can't remember the name because I don't have it yet. Also, if you like that book you should try "Parts" by Tedd Arnold. Hilarious........I love books too!!

Katy said...

You went on a blog posting craze! I love that your mom read to you all the time. She's an amazing woman, so are you!

I want to know about your modeling gigs. Do you love it?

Your kids won't appreciate you until college. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

I love the Angels hair. If only I had enough hair to feather like that. We can't have it all!

Kim said...

My mom worked at a book store when my kids were young. It was always a tradition to get a new book when we went to visit her. I think it's why my kids have always loved reading. Wish I liked reading aloud, though. Never have, even as a teacher who has to do it daily.

Glenn said...

I'm glad you liked the picture. It was either that or a coupon booklet of "clean the kitchen every night for a year." Guess I made the right choice.

MSM said...

That was so sweet! You have an amazing mom and YOU are an amazing mom. Reading is a favorite in our house too. I love that my kids will sneak books in bed with a flashlight...just like their mom did as a girl. Thanks for sharing this!
Love you! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Tell the Bock Family the newest one is Pigeon Wants a Puppy. Love the pigeon books...!