September 28, 2010

Kabuki Theater


Since we came to live in Japan, I wanted to go to the local Kabuki Theater in Ginza.  Kabuki is a classical Japanese dance-drama that has been around since 1603.  The original plays had only female performers who were also prostitutes and their dances were viewed as erotic.  Its hard to imagine that a woman wrapped tightly in 30 layers of clothing from her head to her toes, was considered erotic, ha!  However, in the late 1600's the ruler banned women from performing and gave all roles to men only.  In modern times, now both men and women play roles in Kabuki.  




We wore headphones to translate the story into English.  I expected Kabuki to be very serious and was surprised when one of the plays was actually a comedy with parts that made us laugh out loud.  The overall atmosphere of the dance and music were so soft and beautiful I caught myself so relaxed my mouth was hanging open.  





I think what surprised me the most was during the performance, was when the audience would randomly SHOUT out the actor's names to show appreciation for their performance.  Imagine watching a Broadway play with Jack Nicholson and during a quiet scene your neighbor shouts, "JACK!!!"  In such a completely reserved culture, this tradition was shocking. 



Brent crossed a super busy street trying to get a photo of the theater....
can you say FROGGER?




On the subway back home, we spied a poster that read, "Please do it at home" 
showing a couple occupying the subway "courtesy seat" while sharing a headset,
and ignoring the poor pregnant woman who needed a seat.  Prego Lisa sympathized.


3 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

My FAVORITE day! I wish we would have been able to see the whole show... actually I wish we would have known to go a day early so you could get a seat. That was an awesome experience... among so many.

xoCIGARS.com said...

I am a big fan of Theater. I am very much happy to find your blog post regarding Kabuki Theater. I just received my Kabuki dance dress from at PIJ now I wanna to collect some mask from there as well. Hope this will get in a week.
http://bit.ly/X9c7YE

xoCIGARS.com said...

Amazing and lovely post and images as well. I love all your images as my new Kabuki dance dress that I collected at PIJ ;)
Thanks you very much for your nice topic.
http://bit.ly/X9c7YE